The temple is also famous for “Ratha yatra” and “Chariot festival” where thousands gather annually to celebrate the event. Apart from holiness there are certain mysteries facts about this famous temple.
1. For every 12 years the old idols are buried below the new idols manually, mystery is that they disintegrate on their own and the idols are masked until the task gets completed.
2. The flag on top of the temple always flaps in the opposite direction of air.
3. No bird or planes fly above the temple.
4. After entering from Singhadwara’s first step (from inside of the Temple), you cannot hear any sound produced by the ocean. But, when you cross the same step (from outside of the Temple) you can hear it. This can be noticed clearly during evening.
5. In the Temple kitchen, 7 pots are kept one on top of another and cooked on firewood. In this process the contents in the top pot get cooked first & then the bottom one.
6. The quantity of cooked food inside the Temple remains same for the entire year. But that same quantity of prasadam can feed few thousand people & 20 lakh people, Still it won’t get wasted and shortfalls ever.
7. Ganga river flows inside the Temple kitchen but you cannot see it from outside.
8. The shadow of the main dome is invisible at any time of the day.
9. From any place in Puri you will always find the Sudarshan Chakra (Chakra at top of Temple) facing you.
10. Normally during day-time, air comes from sea to land & during evening, the vice-versa occurs. But in Puri it’s totally opposite.